script type='text/javascript' src='http://track2.mybloglog.com/js/jsserv.php?mblID=2006083115370773'>

Monday, November 27, 2017

Where is validation for inner voices at this time?

In a blog post of 17 November 2017, author Kathleen Hirsch shares her conversation with Thomas Moore, recently published in the journal Anchor. Hirsch met with Moore for breakfast in Cambridge, Massachusetts before publication of Ageless Soul. She describes his approaches to soul and aging, observing, "It is clear that Moore is more concerned with individual consciousness than he is with social critique." She includes his view:
“In the monastery, I learned that ‘to work is to pray.’ What you do is prayer. That got through to me. I’ve always viewed my individual work as drawing out a person’s inner excellence. This was what the Greeks meant when they used the word, ‘therapy,’ which they did quite a bit. Plotinus added the element of beauty. These are my sources. And my writing is my personal daily spiritual practice. As soon as I wake in the morning, I go to my desk.”