script type='text/javascript' src='http://track2.mybloglog.com/js/jsserv.php?mblID=2006083115370773'>

Sunday, January 26, 2014

Contribute by living your life with honesty, beauty

This week Ray Hemachandra shares notes from an interview he conducted with Thomas Moore approximately 15 years ago, "Thomas Moore on Sex, Mystery, Shadow, and Living a Life of the Soul", when Moore was promoting his book The Soul of Sex. Some of Hemachandra's notes may be of interest as Moore promotes his new book, A Religion of One's Own. He quotes Moore:
“Everywhere I go people give me books and say, ‘You need to read this.’ I don’t need to read anything. And I don’t want to do that to anybody, ‘You need to read this.’ You don’t. If you have a choice between reading any book published in the 20th century and reading Shakespeare, there’s no choice. Go back to Shakespeare. Or Emerson. Emerson’s one of my favorite people of all time. Such beautiful sentences and thoughts, it’s unbelievable. Read Emerson.”