script type='text/javascript' src='http://track2.mybloglog.com/js/jsserv.php?mblID=2006083115370773'>

Thursday, September 15, 2011

Lopez-Pedraza influences Moore's approaches

On his blog, Thomas Moore writes about his encounters with the late Rafael Lopez-Pedraza who died 10 January 2011 at the age of 90 years. According to the Asheville Jung Center, Lopez-Pedraza "... was one of the most original Jungian analysts of our time. His books are replete with emergent images that contain a constant invitation to recreate the scope of psychology and psyche. His body of work formed, next to Adolf Guggenbühl-Craig and James Hillman, the outpost of a method of understanding the human soul that has been described by some, as its own school within the Jungian tradition."

After recommending Lopez-Pedraza's book, Hermes and His Children, Moore writes about "the Hermaphrodite [as] part of Hermes fantasy":
"In my own therapeutic work I usually try to embody the learning I’ve taken from Rafael. I try not to be gender-bound or to get lured into oppositions. I know that I am in need of therapy at least as much as my clients are. I try not to be a man always, but some other kind of being, a borderline person, neither this nor that. I realize that insights come accompanied by further ignorance, light with more shadow, a sense of health with an even deeper sense that something is wrong. The weakening of psychotherapy is as important as any strength accomplished. I, myself, will be weakened by it as much as I’m strengthened." 
Moore encourages his readers to meditate with Lopez-Pedraza's writings.